Filesystem Hierarchy Standard
This standard enables
- Software to predict the location of installed files and directories, and
- Users to predict the location of installed files and directories.
We do this by
- Specifying guiding principles for each area of the filesystem,
- Specifying the minimum files and directories required,
- Enumerating exceptions to the principles, and
- Enumerating specific cases where there has been historical conflict.
The FHS document is used by
- Independent software suppliers to create applications which are FHS
compliant, and work with distributions which are FHS complaint,
- OS creators to provide systems which are FHS compliant, and
- Users to understand and maintain the FHS compliance of a system.
Up: Table of Contents
Translated by troff2html v1.5 on 29 March 2002 by Daniel Quinlan